Wednesday, 20 July 2016

Update on Bridget who was killed for "Blasphemy" in Kano: the accused to remain in Prison




Kano state magistrates court has denied bail to the five men who allegedly killed 74-year-old Bridget Agbaheme in front of her shop on June 2, 2016. The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Mrs Agbaheme was murdered at the Kofar Wambai Market Kano, over alleged blasphemy. The accused: Dauda Ahmed, Abdulmumeen Mustafa, Zubairu Abubakar, Abdullahi Abubakar and Musa Abdullahi, were charged with inciting, disturbance, culpable homicide, joint act and mischief. The presiding judge, Chief Magistrate Muhammad Jibril, in his ruling said the court, under Section 361 of the 1999 Constitution, had the discretion to hear the bail application, but it has no power to grant the accused persons bail.
“Though, no material evidence to give the court, first information report is simply information. It shows the jurisdiction of a court to admit an accused person to bail, only when there is no evidence to prove the accused person committed an offence,” he said. He said that the court had no power to grant the five suspects bail, though the court is convinced that investigation had been completed in the case diary sent to the State Ministry of Justice for advice. Chief Magistrate Jibril ordered the five suspects to be remanded in prison custody and adjourned the case to August 18, for possible commencement of trial. However, Gambo Abdulsalam, the Defence Counsel for all the suspects, told the court that he would forward the bail application ruling to the High Court, Kano. He said this was to enable him seek for their bail, since the high court has the right to grant them bail. The Prosecutor, Ekwe Sunday had opposed the bail application in view of the gravity of the offence.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed by Ezeh Valen